Author Topic: QAU religious groups  (Read 1445 times)

Offline فائزہ

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +0/-0
QAU religious groups
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:52:27 PM »
QAU religious groups
Islamabad: Ethnic divide between students is simmering in Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) as there are different councils namely up to support Punjabis, Sindhis, Seraikis, Balochis and Pukhtoon.

"Students do not have means, nor do they have permission from home to indulge in negative activities. However, some ethnic and religious groups operating outside motivate adventurous students to maintain the balance of power on campus," a student of International Relation (IR) said the other day.

Another student, Mansoor Ahmad, said these councils helped newcomers when they faced various administrative problems ranging from faculty behaviour to room allotment in the hostels.

"No, councils are useless, rather destructive. They obliged newcomers in the name of ethnicity; consequently they see them as their saviours. A council only helps those who belong to its ethnicity.

They help once and intervene in every issue as a matter of routine. It is the sole responsibility of the university administration to facilitate newcomers," disagreed Tahir Habib of IT.

"If I have a problem, why should I seek the solution on the basis of my ethnicity," he said. A faculty member said after clashes between two ethnic groups over rooms allotment in 2009, the administration preferred allotting rooms to divers ethnic groups.

He said hostels were hub of competition between different ethnic councils, each wanting full control over the hostel so as to accommodate students of a specific ethnicity.

It is also said that the student politics is not based on ideology or principles but ethnicity.

Dr Gulraiz, the Academic Staff Association secretary, said there was a ban on political activities, but Muslim Student Federation, Peoples Student federation, Islami Jamiat Tulaba did exist in the university.

He suggested that political parties should take a step to de-associate themselves from student organizations for the better future of the nation. If students deal with real issues of their own that would be the best training for constructive, he said. "Political and religious parties should be discouraged to involve students in the national politics," he demanded.

Interestingly, all those who contacted were very concerned to the issue of ethnicity but reluctant to talk. "There is no need of any student organization as this is the time to concentrate on the studies," said a faculty member of Mathematics Department.

A member of ASA said that there was no harm in forming student organizations but only if they restrict themselves to their academic issues.

The faculty member said student bodies were needed for accountability of faculty. "Sometimes, students face arbitrary practices from the faculty for one reason or the other. Essential facilities are missing, there is power cut after every two hours which affects the students experimenting in labs as they have to start it again," he said.

"We come here as Pakistani but transform into different ethnic groups when leave," a student in his final semester said.

Another student said around 92 percent of students come here to build their future but were threatened by some troublemakers who have all sort of financial and political support from outside. Daily times