Author Topic: NCSW QAU condemn Nazma Talib murder  (Read 1803 times)

Offline fizza bano

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +1/-0
NCSW QAU condemn Nazma Talib murder
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
NCSW QAU condemn  Nazma Talib murder
Islamabad: National Commission on Status of Women (NCSW) in its 40th Board of Directors' meeting strongly condemned the murder of Nazma Talib, an associate professor at University of Balochistan, who was killed by unknown assailants on April 27 while going to the university.

NCSW expressed concern on the continuing incidents of target killings of settlers in Balochistan.

"We are appalled at the impunity with which the perpetrators of these heinous crimes move around. We demand that the criminals be apprehended and security be provided to all people of all sects including minorities. Violence against innocent citizens is not the way of resolving political conflicts," said a statement issued by NCSW.

Tasneem Ahmar, a friend of Nazma Talib, expressed her extreme grief and shock over her murder.

"Leaving Karachi and moving to Quetta to impart education to students of Baluchistan University, Nazima had joined the department since its inception in 1987. Her only fault could be her passion to continue teaching in a university under most threatening environment as she thought students needed her," recalled Ahmar.

"Will I be able to see my various friends and colleagues from the media, the newspaper offices that I visited late in the nights so that I could talk to the desk people and discuss issues of gender-sensitive reporting? Will I be able to walk freely and fearlessly in the markets I enjoyed visiting, specially the shopping in Shabnam Market. Will I be able to travel by road to Naseerabad, Jaffarabad, Sibbi and many other places for media trainings? Sad but the truth is that I won't," an emotional Ahmar said.

On the other hand, the Academic Staff Association (ASA) of Quaid-i-Azam University has also strongly condemned the killing of a Nazma Talib.

In a statement issued by Dr Eatzaz Ahmad, president, and Dr Gulraiz Akhter, secretary of ASA, they expressed their dismay and frustration at the attitude of authorities which miserably fail to take action on the earlier incidents of violence against teachers in the width and breadth of the country.

The QAU ASA office-bearers said that academicians are performing a noble cause and to assassinate them in broad daylight without any reason was against the values and norms of any province including Baloch traditions.

They urged the authorities to make necessary arrangements to ensure security of the teaching community in vulnerable areas. They supported the action of ASA of Balochistan University in this respect. The QAU ASA demanded that the persons responsible for the incident must be taken to task and given exemplary punishment. They also requested the Governor, Chief Minister of Balochistan and the interior Minister to take strict action against the culprits. Daily times