Author Topic: Quaid-i-Azam University Debate Contest  (Read 1687 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Quaid-i-Azam University Debate Contest
« on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:39 AM »
Quaid-i-Azam University Debate Contest
Islamabad  : September 09: Participants of a debate competition organised by Idara-e-Taleem-o-Aagahi in collaboration with Rutgers World Population Foundation, and Department of Defence and Strategic Studies, Qauid-i-Azam University, unanimously called for legislation, implementation of existing laws and right to information about sexual and reproductive health and rights instead of ignoring this serious issue by making it a taboo.
The inter-university debate competition was organised at Quaid-i-Azam University here in connection with the International Youth and World Sexual Health Day. The competition was participated by leading universities of Islamabad including Qauid-i-Azam University, International Islamic University, Humdard University, National University of Science and Technology, Preston University and Fatima Jinnah Women University participated in the competition.

Dr. Nusrrullah from Quaid-i-Azam University, Umar Hayat Luk of NUST, Iram Atta from Rozan and Saima Kulsoom from Hamdard University were the panellists with Dr. Farzana Bari, head of the Gender Studies Department, Quaid-i-Azam, as the chief guest.

The students stressed the need for youth-friendly policies of the government. They also called for implementation of existing laws in their true letter and spirit.

The debaters said the youth should be provided awareness about the sexual and reproductive health besides health facilities. They rejected all kinds of myths and taboos linked to the sexual health and re-productivity.

Hamdard University students got the first prize, Quaid-i-Azam University stood second while International Islamic University came on the third position. Dr Farzana Bari distributed the prizes among the winning students.

Speaking on the occasion, Dr Farzana Bari emphasised that sexual health is directly linked to the sexual rights. She said that Pakistan is a male-dominated society where women do not play decisive role especially with regards to sexual relationships. She said there are various socio-cultural taboos about the sexual health. She called for departing safe sex education to the youth.

Quoting various instances, Dr Bari said that sex education is not only for women as it is perceived in our society but men should be given more awareness for their decisive role in such kind of relationships. She also discussed about viral diseases like HIV/AIDs.
The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"