Author Topic: Dr Amir Hamza Marwan of UOP claimed deprived of promotion  (Read 1550 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Dr Amir Hamza Marwan of UOP claimed deprived of promotion
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:23:45 AM »
Dr Amir Hamza Marwan  of UOP claimed deprived of promotion
PESHAWAR:27 MARCH:  A lecturer at the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Peshawar (UoP) has claimed that he had been deprived of promotion despite fulfilling the requirements.

Dr Amir Hamza Marwan, who has done PhD in Journalism Studies from the University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, said the UoP administration deprived him of his due right.

Hailing from Thall tehsil in Hangu district, he joined the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication on contract basis in December 2007. His job was regularized in December 2009.

Dr Amir Hamza Marwan claimed that he had an outstanding academic record and was offered admission in the King Edward Medical College (KEMC) in Lahore after completing FSc. However, he said he opted for Bachelor of Arts (BA) from Islamia College in Peshawar and topped the college.

He recalled that he also topped the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication examination with an all-time record 826 marks. “My family insisted that I should appear in the competitive civil service examination, but I preferred to join the UoP.”

He claimed that he was among the three fellows who got the “University Own Resources Scholarship” in 2011 and started PhD in Journalism Studies from the University of Sheffield in UK.

“The University of Sheffield and many other universities in UK offered me a teaching job, but I returned to Pakistan after completing PhD in four years,” he added.

On his return home in 2016, he said the then Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr Muhammad Rasul Jan assured him of promotion to Assistant Professor and later Prof Dr Muhammad Asif Khan made the same assurance to him and other faculty members.

Dr Amir Hamza said he was supervising three PhD students, five MPhil and two masters students in research. He said he had published five research papers and seven more would be published till June.

“Despite my shining academic record, commitment and love for this country and the University of Peshawar, my decade-long service at the university, I have been deprived of promotion to assistant professor, which is my right according to the rules set by Higher Education Commission,” he claimed.

He said HEC rules had made it mandatory on part of public and private sector universities to engage PhD degree holders as assistant professor.

Dr Amir Hamza Marwan said the University of Peshawar recently advertised several positions, but there was no mention of any vacancy of assistant professor in Journalism.

“I believe in merit and insist that a post of assistant professor should have been advertised and an open competition should have taken place to ensure fair selection,” he said.The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"