Author Topic: History King Edward Medical University  (Read 6435 times)

Offline iram

• Editorial board
  • My Points +16/-3
History King Edward Medical University
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:30 AM »
History

1860-1894: Creation to recognition

King Edward Medical University - established in 1860 - is the second oldest medical institution in the Sub-continent, after Bengal Medical College (1835). Initially known as Lahore Medical College, it was renamed Lahore Medical School in 1864. Both the school and the attached hospital (Lahore Dispensary) were small.

The Government of India, The Lahore Municipal Committee and The Government of The Punjab funded generously for construction of a new attached hospital in 1871. The hospital was named after the then Viceroy of the Sub-continent, the “Earl of Mayo”. The architecture of the hospital was Italian, designed by Pudon and engineered by Rai Bahadur Kanahya. The new academic building was completed in 1883, the same year in which females were first allowed admission to the college. That building is now the Anatomy Department.

Lahore Medical School was recognized in 1886 by the senate of the University of Dublin.

:: 1895-Present

The university and the attached hospital was built piece by piece by the funding and efforts of several dedicated people.

In December 21, 1911, Lahore Medical School was rechristened King Edward Medical College, and was updated to the status of an independent, degree-granting university on May 12, 2005[1].

Offline pakM

• Primary Group
  • My Points +0/-0
Re: History King Edward Medical University
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »
  Wow, it is very best achievement for the King Edward Medical University. It's been a long year that they reach now. I guess this university is really good that student choose this school especially in the field of medicine. I am grateful to know the history of this medical university.