Author Topic: 22nd Convocation of NED University  (Read 1394 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
22nd Convocation of NED University
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
22nd Convocation of NED University
Karachi:20 March:It was a joyous occasion for the 1,413 graduating engineers at the 22nd convocation of the NED University on Wednesday.
As many as 1,268 students were awarded their Bachelor’s degrees in 20 disciplines of engineering and technology, while 145 more received their Master’s degrees in 15 postgraduate programmes. Nineteen among them won gold medals for academic excellence.
Under a white canopy excited students clad in black and white gowns lined up to receive their degrees. “It is a happy day. At the same time I understand the responsibility which lies on my shoulders. The university gave us quality education at a very low cost. I want to repay my country by excelling in my field,” said a graduate Saad Khan.
Senior Sindh Education & Literacy Minister and NED University Pro-Chancellor Nisar Ahmed Khuhro presided over the ceremony in the absence of Sindh Governor and Chancellor Dr Ishrat-ul-Ebad. Mohammad Ali Jinnah University Vice Chancellor Prof Dr Abdul Wahab was the chief guest.
It is indeed a proud privilege for me to preside over the NED University’s convocation, because once even I wanted to be a student at this institution but could not get in,” said Khuhro.

The engineering university’s seventh vice chancellor, Dr Muhammad Afzal Haque, hosted his first convocation. In his speech he remembered the late Engr Abul Kalam, who served the university for 16 years. During the late vice chancellor’s time the university grew from three departments to 22.

“It is indeed an honour for me to take over this prestigious job from my predecessor. May his soul rest in peace,” said Haque. “To continue from where he left is no doubt a challenging task for me.”

The vice chancellor highlighted the achievements made by the institution since 1977, when the first batch of 231 students graduated in three disciplines of engineering.

“This year we have also opened the doctoral programme for both students and teachers. Now 41 scholars will pursue their PhDs.”

He also mentioned the university’s liabilities, which have crossed Rs1.5 billion due to the increase in operational expenses, mainly salaries and pension funds announced by the provincial government without increasing the annual grant.

“It will be difficult for the university to survive if the government does not provide the university with a bailout package.”The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"