Author Topic: Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) canceled GRE condition for PhD students  (Read 1945 times)

Offline گل

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +1/-2
GRE condition for PhD canceled

Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) canceled GRE condition for PhD students

Islamabad, Jan 03: The Academic Council of Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) has scrapped the restriction of passing GRE as a necessary requirement for the award of a PhD degree.

The restriction was imposed by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) despite the opposition of almost all public sector universities, including the QAU. The condition was opposed by 25 members and only 12 favoured it after a heated debate, while some of the members did not cast their votes.

Another agenda item stipulating 18-credit hours mandatory courses for doctoral students was deferred for the next meeting. The compulsion was imposed by the HEC despite an opposition by universities and the Federation of All Pakistan Universities Academic Staff Associations.

The meeting recommended a five-day week for classes. A final decision will be taken by the syndicate in this respect. Professor Sky Hawk, director of the Taxila Institute of Asian Civilisations, informed the meeting that the German government is willing to support PhD students from AJK, Northern Areas and Balochistan for research.

Participants of the meeting offered 'fateha' for the departed souls of QAU Professor Emeritus Dr. A H Dani, Dr. Naseer Ahmad of Mathematics Department and Professor Nasir Mahmood of Administrative Sciences Department.