Author Topic: Clash at Quaid-i-Azam university Islamabad  (Read 1608 times)

Offline معلم

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +0/-0
Clash at Quaid-i-Azam university Islamabad
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:14 PM »
Clash at Quaid-i-Azam university Islamabad

Quaid-i-Azam University clash left several injured
Islamabad, Oct 14: A clash between two groups of students on the premises of Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) on Tuesday evening left at least a dozen persons injured, police and university officials said.

The reason behind the clash was yet to be ascertained but the preliminary investigation said a group of students wearing Sindhi caps got provoked when another group of students started hooting at them in Hostel No 7 at around 6:45pm.

A harsh argument ensued that led to a scuffle between the students. Some students carrying batons joined the groups and restored to baton charge on their rivals. During the brawl, the students also pelted each other with stones.

The situation deteriorated when armed supporters of both the groups reached the spot and opened fire.

As a result, over a dozen students from both the groups suffered injuries and were shifted to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences and the dispensary of Hostel No 6.

The university administration when contacted said "the young blood" had got provoked over a petty issue. They said officials of the university along with the local police were engaged in negotiations with the two groups to settle the issue.

The administration said it was shocking that the students had resorted to firing, adding some ex-students were still residing in the hostels and had brought weapons to the university premises.

They said search for weapons would be conducted in the hostels to avoid such incidents in the future.

The police said the incident took place over allotment of a hostel room.

The police reached the spot but the university administration wanted to settle the issue without their interference, they added.

However, some of the students having no affiliation with any student organisation said two groups of students from Sindh and Punjab had been engaged in frequent clashes for the last 10 months.

"Students affiliated with Punjab Council attacked their rivals and injured them. Dawn