Author Topic: Acid burn survivor denied admission in Allama Iqbal Open University  (Read 1777 times)

Offline fizza bano

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +1/-0
Acid burn survivor denied admission in Allama Iqbal Open University
Islamabad:It is unfortunate that the system we live in allows undue concessions to the high and the mighty, but for those in real need of special consideration, a lengthy list of rules and regulations wait to discourage them at every step.

One latest example is a 32-year-old acid burn survivor, Naveed Anjum, who has been refused admission to Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) on merit applicable to normal students. Even though his application came along with a request by the organisation treating him for the past two years, seeking special consideration, the university administration took the stand that it lacked disability certificate and expressed helplessness in changing rules for they believed that it would set a bad precedent for others.

“On the basis of disability certificate, the candidate is given extra 20 extra marks, but Naveed’s application did not contain that certificate,” said AIOU Department of Special Education Chairman Dr. Mahmood Hussain Awan. “He can apply next year with complete papers,” he continued.

A resident of Rajanpur, Naveed Anjum, worked as a salesman for a private company. On May 23, 2007 a group of boys attacked him on his way back from work. He was immediately taken to the local hospital from where he was shifted to Nishtar Hospital, Multan. After providing him basic treatment for one month, the hospital authorities discharged him.

He arrived at the Acid Survivors Foundation (ASF) nursing unit on September 4, 2007 and since then numerous surgeries have been performed on his face and other parts of the body to enable him to live a normal life. “When I came to this centre, my lips were attached to my neck and I was not able to open my eyes properly,” said Naveed, who still cannot speak clearly because of his disfigured face.

The only bread-earner for his family, Naveed decided not to give up for he had no choice, but to live for his widowed mother and two sisters. Despite his face being completely mutilated and his personality shattered, he recollected all his energy to start a new life hoping that he will be encouraged by everyone for being so brave. Little did he know that his courage meant nothing to the cruel system he lives in.

Those who plainly refused admission to him on the basis of rules that are flouted every day perhaps have not seen any acid burn survivor. In the words of those who work for their welfare, they are ‘living dead.’ The mental torture they suffer because of the permanent disfigurement of their face and other body parts is far more than the physical pain that ends after few months.

They might know that acid violence is an outrageous form of torture that involves throwing corrosive acid at the victim’s face yet they know nothing about the catastrophic effect it has on the victim’s life. In addition to inevitable psychological trauma, survivors also face social isolation and ostracism that further damages their self-esteem and seriously undermines their professional and personal future.

Already fighting on many fronts, Naveed was extremely disappointed to hear the news. “I actually visited a special school in my community and there I decided to study special education to serve special people,” he told ‘The News’. The ASF officials also met the head of the Department of Special Education to make a special request but he expressed helplessness in going against the university rules.

The story does not end here. It is again the same system that has become biggest hindrance in the way of poor Naveed to get justice. He is in Rajunpur these days trying to register a case against the culprits. ASF head of projects and legal coordinator Sana Masood told ‘The News’ that police are discouraging Naveed from filing the case against Arshad as the culprit left the country after ruining his life for ever. “Since the tragic incident, Naveed has been undergoing medical and psychological treatment at ASF due to which he could not focus on follow up of the FIR in his case with the police or the court proceedings,” she said.

Naveed expressed his wish to punish perpetrator(s) while undergoing psychotherapy and asked for assistance from ASF in this regard.

“Through our field officer he approached the police in Rajanpur for the status of the FIR in his case, but he was told that the FIR has been finished due to no follow up from the victim’s side,” she said. “Our question is that is it not the responsibility of the police to follow up once the crime is reported and arrest the alleged perpetrators appointed under the FIR?”

Naveed plans to submit an application to the police in Rajunpur to revert back the status of FIR with the assistance of ASF field officer so that he can go for court proceedings. “Even if the main perpetrator is out of country there are others (accomplices to the crime) who need to be identified and arrested. If the status of the FIR remains the same, then there is no choice but to complain to the Session Court Judge Rajanpur who can then order the police under the Code of Criminal Procedure to revert back the status of the FIR,” she pointed out.

Naveed also wants to draw the attention of the chief justice in this journey to seek justice so that he can get the perpetrator(s) in this case arrested and sentenced, and he can start living a normal life again rather than constantly fearing for his life every time he steps out of the house. “This fear is also hampering my ability to work and earn a living for my family,” said Naveed.

Another unfortunate fact that comes out of Naveed’s story is the way men are usually taken for granted by both system and other support systems working in the society. Sana said that whatever funds ASF receives are for legal aid of the female victims. She said that aid organisations do not release funds for men especially in violence cases. Unemployment has also multiplied Naveed’s agony, as he is never welcomed in any organisation mainly due to his appearance. “The only job I was able to get was to market cotton seeds for two months,” he said. His pay there was only Rs2,500.

Naveed was speechless for a good while when asked how he was able to feed his family with that meagre amount. “My sister who is married helps me,” he said in frail voice. “I am of no use to my family. I have become a burden on them,” he said. The hapless Naveed has now applied for a job is Rescue 1122. Like others, they have also kept his documents and asked him to wait for any vacancy. Does anyone have heart and the will to help this courageous boy who is not ready to give up. The news