Author Topic: Medical education, a status symbol for Female students?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline AKBAR

• Editorial board
  • My Points +1/-1
    • pak study
Medical education, a status symbol for Female students?
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:14 PM »
Medical education, a status symbol for Female students?

Karachi, Jan 26: Female medical students enrol into the programme given the 'prestige' associated with the profession, said a doctor. The doctor in question, who graduated from Dow Medical College (DMC) in 2005, taught at a private medical college for over a year. However, once she got married, she had to resign since she was moving abroad for a while.

According to her, it is difficult to find a job in public-sector hospitals. Not only this but also, the work environment there is not conducive to women. Patients do not give female doctors respect. In fact, sometimes, female doctors are also subjected to maltreatment. She recalled that when she was doing her house job at the Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK), the father of a prominent political worker suffering from stroke was admitted there. His party workers ransacked the hospital for a "minor reason", and even mistreated the female doctors there.

She also said that it's not the poor salary packages and night shifts that discourage female doctors but the way they are treated that forces them to stay away.

She suggested that fresh graduates should be appointed in the areas from which they hail (which sometimes include rural areas) as doctors are needed there. Unfortunately, most of them prefer to stay back and work in urban areas.

Another female doctor who graduated from the Sindh Medical College (SMC) in 2006 said she was unable to practice because soon after her exams, she got married. Her husband is financially well-off, and she said that her in-laws preferred it if she "looked after her family" rather than go out and work.

The doctor in question is now the mother of a one-year old girl and says that she "cannot think of practicing along with raising my daughter".

Dr Sidra Ahmed, a graduate of Jinnah Medical and Dental College, said that it is unfair to generalise this issue. According to Dr Ahmed, there are a lot of girls from her class who are married and are practicing. "I think most women want to become doctors not because they want a good marriage proposal, but because this is the only profession that has scope all over the world and even one moves abroad, you can still practice," she explained.

Offline Dr. MAS

• bis-group
  • Primary Group
  • My Points +0/-0
Re: Medical education, a status symbol for Female students?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »
The second problem is that about 80 percent female graduate doctors after qualifying and registration do not start medicine practice. or join some other profession. The Government expends lot of money on them and at end our 54%population does not get benefit from them? In this situation what is the purpose of expending lot of money on them. It is dare need of today to encourage them come and start their clinics and help our poor village womens. They are badly in need of medical assistance.

Offline علم دوست

• Editorial board
  • My Points +2/-1

نرسوں کا مزید تعلیم دے کر ڈاکٹر کا بنادیا جائے
بات یہ ہے کہ زیادہ تر لڑکیاں میڈکل کا شعبہ صرف اس لئے انتحاب کرتی ہیں ۔ کہ ان کے اچھی جگہ رشتے ہوسکے ۔
اور پاکستانی معاشرہ میں ہو بھی رہا ہے ۔
اپرکلاس اور مڈل کلاس یا (اچھے امیر ) والدین اپنے مال دار (عموما نکمے) لڑکوں کی شادی کے لئے لیڈی ڈاکٹر کو ترجیع دیتے ہیں۔
تاکہ ان کی خاندان میں عزت ہو ۔
عموما جن لیڈی ڈاکٹروں کی شادی اپنے سے امیر گھروں میں ہو جاتی ہیں۔ وہ ان کو جاب نہیں کرنے دیتے ۔ اور لیڈی ڈاکٹر اور دسویں فیل لڑکی میں کوئی خاص فرق نہیں ہوتا۔ یعنی وہی بچوں کی دیکھ بھال ۔ گھر کا کام۔ کچن ۔ شوہر کی خدمت ۔ ساس سے جھگڑا وغیرہ۔
بہرحال یہ ہماری معاشرہ کا الیمہ ہے کہ جس کے لئے ضروری ہے کہ نرسوں کو جو کہ ۹۹فیصد جاب کرتی ہے ۔ کو مزید تعلیم دے کر (چاہے پانچ سال کے تجربہ کے بعد) ڈاکٹر کا درجہ دے دیا جائے ۔

میں بہت عظیم ہوں جو کہ بہت ہی عظیم علمی کام کررہا ہوں

Offline Dr. MAS

• bis-group
  • Primary Group
  • My Points +0/-0

نرسوں کا مزید تعلیم دے کر ڈاکٹر کا بنادیا جائے
بہرحال یہ ہماری معاشرہ کا الیمہ ہے کہ جس کے لئے ضروری ہے کہ نرسوں کو جو کہ ۹۹فیصد جاب کرتی ہے ۔ کو مزید تعلیم دے کر (چاہے پانچ سال کے تجربہ کے بعد) ڈاکٹر کا درجہ دے دیا جائے ۔

I think, each profession has its own importance. Nurses education is too low and they can't coop up with professional demand. if Nurses will take over the seats of Gynae doctors then who will perform nurses job.

yes, they should be trained for the common ailments so that our health problems should be solved. Nurses should be highly qualified and they should be detail in rular health centers.

The point is how a professional MBBS lady doctors can be bound when they get admission in medical college so that people of pakistan can get maximum benefit from their professional studies.