Author Topic: HEC Strict action against PhD scholars  (Read 1464 times)

Offline فائزہ

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +0/-0
HEC Strict action against PhD scholars
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
HEC Strict action against PhD scholars

Islamabad:Higher Education Commission (HEC) will take strict action against those PhD scholars who have failed to return home after completing their studies abroad, said HEC Executive Director Dr. Sohail Naqvi.

Addressing a press conference here Wednesday at the conclusion of the Vice Chancellors’ Committee meeting, Dr. Naqvi said that 3,700 scholars have been sent abroad under the scholarship programme of the commission and so far 350 scholars have returned to the country. “Those who have refused to come have been served court notices and FIA and Interpol have been involved in the matter, as public money has been spent on them,” he added.

He said that strict action would be taken against the scholars who have refused to come back.

The vice chancellors of different universities expressed grave concern over the growing political interference in the education institutions of Punjab. They said that there had been a rapid increase in political activities on the premises of education institutions, which need immediate attention of the authorities in order to maintain the quality of education in these institutions.

Earlier in the meeting the vice chancellors said that by law universities were autonomous body and were responsible for making its rules and regulations, but the constant political interference was hindering them to do so.

A joint resolution emphasising safe release of Dr. Lutfullah Kakakhel, the kidnapped vice chancellor of the Kohat University of Sciences and Technology (KUST) who is missing for the last four months was also passed by Vice Chancellors’ Committee.

The newly appointed vice chancellor of Quaid-i-Azam University, Masoom Yaseen Zai, who was, earlier, serving Balochistan University as VC said, “It is very unfortunate that university professors in Balochistan were being killed and many professors have left the area due to security concerns, which have affected a lot higher education in the province.”

The committee also recommended names of three vice chancellors as vice chancellors’ representatives in the Commission for approval by the prime minister.

While responding to a question regarding the illegal grant of scholarship in NUML, Rector Dr Aziz said that the scholarships were granted purely on merit and denied all these allegations. “I was not in the selection committee neither I was in Board of Governors (BOG) so I had nothing to do with anyone’s selection.,” he added.

The university heads had met the prime minister on Tuesday where the prime minister committed that there will be no cut in PSDP projects in health and education. The prime minister also acknowledged HEC’s efforts to bring the higher education sector at par with the international institutions. He also mentioned that according to National Education Policy-2009, the education budget would be raised to 7 per cent of the GDP by 2015.

The vice chancellors committee unanimously agreed to improve quality and give it top priority in order the meet the challenges faced by the higher education sector. It agreed that all PhD dissertations in subjects other than languages and Islamic Studies should be written in English. It also recommended that all PhD defence should be live telecast on the HEC video conferencing system.

It was emphasized that no compromise will be made whether it is appointment of faculty members; selection of students, graduate, post-graduate, MS/PhD studies or evaluation of research.The news