Author Topic: Cambridge International Primary Programme We are committed to keeping education  (Read 1293 times)

Offline علم دوست

• Editorial board
  • My Points +2/-1
Cambridge International Primary Programme We are committed to keeping education accessible

Jan 24: Wide disparity in the availability and quality of education available in Pakistan has been a subject of debate for some time now. The fact that there are various parallel systems in place has added to the reigning confusion and whenever a new system is proposed, several concerns are raised.

However Ann Puntis, chief executive of the University of Cambridge International Examinations, who was recently in Pakistan to introduce a new programme for students of the primary level, told this reporter that the system, dubbed the Cambridge International Primary Programme, was designed to accommodate and respect local sensitivities.

"We wouldn't have expanded in the way in which we have over the years if we were insensitive to local (culture). I think probably the most important sensitivity is that we don't try to do everything. We provide English, maths, science … a sort of spine of the curriculum. But the local cultural studies, social studies, even art and creative subjects are from the Pakistani perspective. It would be quite negative to impose a complete programme on schools. We work in partnership," she said.

Explaining the background of the primary programme, she said it was designed to ensure a smooth transition between primary and secondary level students.

"For so many years we've had secondary school qualifications and they've proved enormously successful. A little while ago schools in Pakistan asked whether we could develop primary provision so that they were sure they had coherence in their schools from (age) five up to 18.

"So we developed the primary programme first of all to meet the needs of schools in Pakistan and then, because it was so well-liked and adopted, we internationalised it."

As for the response from Pakistani schools to the programme: "The take-up of the primary programme is strong in Pakistan but it's strong in lots of other countries – in New Zealand, in Argentina. The schools in Pakistan who take the programme become part of a global community."

She clarified that the programme has not been implemented in schools "following the local curriculum. It is implemented in local schools following the Cambridge programme."

She added that the programme specifically focussed on the fact that for the local students, English would be a second language.

"In the English programme we recognise that students are working in their second language so we're very sensitive to that. Also in terms of the maths provision, we had to think very carefully and talk to the schools quite closely about what the sequence of maths education was so that the introduction of algebra and geometry is appropriate to schools and to the teachers as the teachers have to feel comfortable with it."

Ms Puntis said her organisation also offers teacher training but pointed out that perhaps this area could do with greater focus.

"I'm honest enough to say the amount we provide (for teacher training) could probably be doubled or tripled to meet teachers' expectations because they're certainly really hungry for this type of provision. We're a university educating not just students but the teachers (as well). We provide as much as we can."

How has the organisation's interaction with the Pakistani government been like?

"We work with the federal board. We've been talking to them about whether the way in which we write our examination papers could be something that we discuss together. We also work with the Inter-Board Committee of Chairmen so that matters of equivalence and the sharing of best practice are well-developed. The development of syllabuses such as Islamiat and Urdu are areas where we very closely have to take government requirements into consideration."

Until quite recently, there was a perception that the Cambridge programme and similar systems were limited to the elite of Pakistan and were beyond the reach of the majority of citizens. Ms Puntis said there was an effort within her organisation to make quality education accessible to as many people as possible. "The university is very committed to access. It doesn't want to see itself as offering elite provision around the world. The more (our programme) impacts people's lives, the better we feel about it. It's not affordable by everyone, I do understand that, but (we are) pretty committed to keeping things accessible."

On a more personal note, Ann Puntis said that she has quite a personal link with Pakistan as this was "the very first country I visited on appointment as chief executive. I came in 2005 just after the earthquake. I was really pleased to make that my first port of call. It's a country pretty dear to my heart. I care about education and I think Pakistan does too." QAM

میں بہت عظیم ہوں جو کہ بہت ہی عظیم علمی کام کررہا ہوں