Author Topic: Boys bag most top positions in Karachi pre-medical exams  (Read 961 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Boys bag most top positions in Karachi pre-medical exams
« on: September 01, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »
Boys bag most top positions in Karachi pre-medical exams
KARACHI:01 september: The Board of Intermediate Education, Kara­chi, (BIEK) announced on Wednesday the results of intermediate (class XII) science (pre-medical) annual examination for 2017 with boys bagging most of the top six merit positions.
Mohammad Hassan Ahsan of Adamjee Government Science College, who stood first with 1,000 marks out of a total of 1,100 and with a percentage of 90.91, told Dawn that he was looking forward to joining a medical college or university. “I hope to get into Dow University of Health Sciences. If not, then I will be equally happy to go to Jinnah Sindh Medical University or Karachi Medical and Dental College,” said the humble young man. But what is a given with Hassan is that he will be a doctor.

His proud father, Dr Ahsan, standing beside him said he and Hassan’s mother also belonged to the medical profession and he was glad to see his son do so well in his pre-medical examinations. “He worked so hard. I watched him fill up one journal after another in these two years,” said the father.

Hassan’s younger sister, Faiza, said that when her brother was studying for his exams the entire ground floor of their home where the young man would study was out of bounds for her and their two younger siblings. “We didn’t want to disturb him,” she said. “Thankfully the hard work paid off, too,” she said laughing.

Meanwhile, Maryam Batool of St Lawrence Government Girls Degree College was second with 994 marks and 90.36 percentage. The third position was shared by two boys — Umair Wajid and Mohammad Owais Sonija. Both belonged to Adamjee Government Science College and both got 988 marks and a percentage of 89.82.

The simple but very well-organised ceremony held in the auditorium of Sir Syed Government Girls College began on time and concentrated on celebrating the achievements of the candidates.

BIEK chairman Prof Inam Ahmed also congratulated the colleges the toppers belonged to. Providing the details, he said a total of 21,738 candidates were registered for the exams but 21,477 actually appeared. Of them, 11,170 passed to show a passing percentage of 52.01. “Some 1,238 candidates bagged A-1 grade while 2,974 passed with A grade. The number of those who earned B grade is 3,314 and those with C grade is 2,782. Some 832 also passed with D grade,” he said.

Results were also announced for the annual medical technology examinations. The chairman disclosed that only four candidates sat for the exams and three passed, giving a 75pc passing result.

“I must thank the BIEK staff, especially the professors who worked with us day and night and our controller of examinations Mohammad Jafar, who even slept at the Board Office to make sure everything remained in order and things were done strictly on merit,” said the BIEK chairman.

About the delay in announcing the results this year, he explained that the BIEK staff was constantly facing inquiries by the anti-corruption people as a part of their corruption investigations. “The inquiries and questioning takes up a lot of our time,” he said.

Congratulating the students, Prof Anis Zaidi, the chief guest on the occasion, said that one could only get ahead in life through education. “Education is your last resort. It will always help in life,” he said. “By getting such good grades, you have proved yourselves to be hard-working individuals. I am glad that tomorrow’s doctors are working so hard already. You have made us all very proud,” he concluded.

Besides the certificates and gift of books, the top position holders were also given cash prizes. The first position holder was presented with Rs30,000, the second with Rs20,000 and the third with Rs10,000. Though the results of special candidates and those who appeared in the home economics examinations were announced earlier in the month, they were also invited to the ceremony and handed their certificates and rewards, including the cash prizes.
Published in Dawn, August 31st, 2017.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"