Author Topic: Quaid-i-Azam University Seminar  (Read 789 times)

Offline sb

• Good Member Group
  • My Points +5/-0
Quaid-i-Azam University Seminar
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:54:33 AM »
Quaid-i-Azam University Seminar
Islamabad: May 07: A comprehensive framework is needed for Europeans and Muslim communities of Europe to understand each other’s concerns regarding the limits of what is and what is not acceptable speech.
This was urged by speakers at a seminar titled ‘Freedom of Expression and Islam in Europe’, organised by Department of Anthropology, Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU).
Most of the speakers were of the view that freedom of expression should not be converted into the right to offend and insult the minorities. Dr. Muhammad Bilal, Assistant Professor at Fatima Jinnah Women University, said that in Europe freedom of expression is also limited by strict defamation, privacy and hate speech laws while to deny the Holocaust it is a crime. “There should not be dual standard of human rights for any religion and followers of a religion,” said Dr. Bilal.
Dr. Rao Nadeem Alam, Assistant Professor at Department of Anthropology, said that Muslim alienation in France and elsewhere in Europe and Europe’s failure to integrate Muslim communities should also be addressed and debated.

In a detailed presentation, he also briefed the audience on the background and historical evolution of the concept of freedom of expression.

Dr. Waheed Chaudhry, chairperson of the Department of Anthropology, thanked the organisers for arranging a thought provoking session on sensitive and important issue.

Peer Syed Mudassir Nazar Shah, President NGO Salook; Dr. Aliya H. Khan, Dean Faculty of Social Sciences, and Prof. Dr Sayed Wiqar Ali Shah, Chairperson Department of History and Director NIHCR, also addressed the audience. A large number of faculty members and students attended the event.The news.
If you born poor, its not your fault....But if you die poor, its your fault...."Bill Gates"