Library Sindh Study FG Study quiz Punjab Study
PakStudy :Yours Study Matters

History Of D.J. Sindh Government Science College

Offline iram

  • *****
  • 3841
  • +16/-3
  • Gender: Female
History Of D.J. Sindh Government Science College
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »
History Of D.J. Sindh Government Science College

The D.J. Sindh Government Science College was founded in 1887, chiefly through the efforts of a far-sighted, prominent Sindhi philanthropist, Mr. Diwan Dayaram
Jethmal whose name it bears. The College was opened on 17th January, 1887 by His Excellency Lord Reay, the Governor of Bombay in a bungalow in Thaitai Compound, situated on Bunder Road. Later on it was
shifted to the present building in 1892. The College was by then a full-fledged institution with faculties of Arts, Sciences, Engineering and Law. D.J.Sindh Government Science College began primarily as an Arts college with only 28 students and 5 members on it's staff.
In 1922 with the establishment of separate Engineering College, Engineering classes were dropped from the D.J.College. With the establishment of a Law College in 1925 the Law classes were also dropped. The seperate establishment of Engineering and Law College necessiatated certain changes in the constitution of the Sindh Arts College Committee. These were purely administrative changes. Consequently, a board was formed to look after the affairs of the expandedCollege.
For the next sixty years D.J. Sindh Goverment Science College catered to the intellectual and academic needs of the people of the Province, being as it was the first and only institution in the area. It prepared students for the graduate and post-graduate courses of the Bombay and Sindh University. It also provided research facilities in various fields of Sciences.
Consequent upon the creation of Pakistan, in the sixty-first year of it's existence, D.J.Singh College was formally handed over to the Sindh Government in June 1984.
The Sindh Government took over all the buildings, assets and other investments from the Sindh Collegiate Board. These buildings were the main D.J. College building, the Annexe, the Law College Building, the Commerce College building the Engineering College building, Hostel and the D.J.College Gymkhana. The D.J. Sindh College was re-christened as D.J. Sindh Government Science College.
D.J. Sindh Government Science College is affiliated to the University of Karachi and the Board of the Intermediate Education Karachi, and prepares students upto B.Sc. Plans are ahead to restore its former glory by re-introducing M.Sc. classes in certain subjects.