Library Sindh Study FG Study quiz Punjab Study
PakStudy :Yours Study Matters

Do I need a visa or residence permit? Sweden

Offline AKBAR

  • *****
  • 3994
  • +1/-1
  • Gender: Male
    • pak study
Do I need a visa or residence permit? Sweden
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »
Do I need a visa or residence permit? Sweden

Visa and resident permits for non-Nordic non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are intending to stay in Sweden for less than three months, then you will need a visa if the country that issues your passport is on this list [PDF file]. If your studies in Sweden will take longer than three months, you need to acquire a residence permit before you arrive in Sweden. Permits are issued by the Swedish Migration Board. The Swedish Migration Board has collected what you need to know in this pdf about Residence permits for students.

You can apply for visas and permits at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country.

Please remember that you cannot apply for a residence permit unless you have been admitted to full time accredited university studies in Sweden. The application fee, which is not refundable, is SEK 1,000.

When applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The amount, SEK 7,300 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Migration Board. If you wish to bring your family you must show that you have at your disposal an additional SEK 3,000 per month for your spouse and SEK 1,800 per month per child.

If you can prove to the board’s satisfaction that that you will receive free lodging during the whole or part of your study period this sum will be correspondingly reduced. Students who have been awarded a scholarship through the Swedish Institute or another program should supply proof of this. You will also need to show a valid passport and a letter of admission from the institution at which you will be studying. To be sure of obtaining your permit in time you should submit your application 6-8 weeks prior to your departure for Sweden.

Please note that residence permits are limited to the duration of the study period, or to one year, whichever is the shorter. Your permit will be renewed annually provided you receive the number of credit points required and can produce evidence of continued financial support. Renewal requests are processed by your local Swedish Migration Board office. If you have any questions please contact the Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country or country where you currently live. You can also contact the Swedish Migration Board. Also make sure you have adequate medical insurance.

Visa and residence permits for citizens from non-Nordic EU/EEA countries

If you are a citizen of a non-Nordic EU/EEA country (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom) you have the right to reside in Sweden. The term “right to reside” means that an EU/EEA citizen is permitted to stay in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. However, you must register with the Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

To register you must enclose documents of proof of enrolment on a course or program which is at least at high school level, assurance that you have sufficient funds for your keep and proof that you have comprehensive medical insurance that is valid in Sweden. You can read more about the requirements for registration at the Swedish Migration Board’s website. They have also collected what you need to know in a pdf about Registration for EU/EEA citizens.

Please note that if you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit (see above).

Visa and residence permits for citizens of Nordic countries

Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.