Library Sindh Study FG Study quiz Punjab Study
PakStudy :Yours Study Matters

Medical insurance and care in Sweden

Offline AKBAR

  • *****
  • 3993
  • +1/-1
  • Gender: Male
    • pak study
Medical insurance and care in Sweden
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
Medical insurance and care in Sweden

Before arriving in Sweden, you need to ensure that you have adequate health insurance coverage.

Medical insurance for Nordic and EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of any of the Nordic or EU/EEA countries, then you have access to public medical services if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European health Insurance card. If European health insurance cards are not yet issued in your country, ask for a form E128, or a form E111 If you plan to stay for less than three months. You need to bring the card or a form with you when seeking medical attention in Sweden.

Students that do not register with their social insurance office in their home country need to arrange their own insurance coverage. This is also best done in your home country. Medical treatment is expensive without any form of health insurance.
Medical insurance for non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of one year or more

As a visiting student, if you stay for one year or longer – i.e. if you have a residence permit valid for one year or more – you are entitled to the same health benefits as Swedes. However, you must first apply for civil registration at your local tax office as soon as you arrive.

The application procedure can take some time, but you will be fully covered if you need medical help and you can show that you have already applied for civil registration. Medical insurance does not cover your journey to Sweden or the time you spend in the country prior to applying for civil registration. Thus, to be fully covered, you will need some form of travel insurance.

Non-EU/EEA citizens: stays of less than one year

If you have a residence permit valid for a period of less than a year, then you are not able to register at the local tax office, and you do not have automatic access to health care. Sweden has reciprocal agreements for public medical benefits with some countries, however; to find out whether your country has such an agreement, you should contact your local social insurance office.

Students from countries with this type of agreement need only present their passport and a certificate from the social insurance office in their home country when seeking medical help. For the reciprocal agreement to apply, the need for medical care must arise during (not prior to) your stay in Sweden.

Students who are not covered by any of these agreements must arrange their own insurance coverage. In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive without any form of insurance. Either purchase it in your home country, or else check with your student union. It may have a special agreement with an insurance company.

Medical treatment in Sweden

If you need to consult a doctor (and you are covered – see above) you can either make an appointment with the doctor at the student union health centre at your university, or go to the local primary health clinic, Vårdcentralen. They are listed in the blue pages of the telephone directory. Vårdcentralen will charge you about SEK 150 for a consultation.

It might be a good idea to have a thorough check-up at your dentist before leaving for Sweden. Should you still need to consult a dentist here, go to your nearest public dental clinic, Folktandvården. For urgent dental treatment, see the emergency dental clinic, jourhavande tandläkare. Doctors speak good English. Your student union may be able to assist you if you would like to consult a doctor that speaks another foreign language.


There are no vaccination requirements for any international traveler entering Sweden. However, Some universities may require a medical certificate as part of their application for admission to their programs.